Thursday, August 31, 2006

How big is your God?

Your quick response to this question is no doubt MASSIVE!
And you'd be right, but is this actually reflected in our lives.
This thought has been running through my mind for the past few days. I believe in the God of all Creation but my life [in a million little ways] tries to box in this vast God. If someone was to take an audit of my life they could be forgiven for thinking that my God is a convenient God, one who makes demands on my terms and in my time.

How mad is that?!

I claim to submit to God's will and yet secretly [although occasionally not so secretly] I expect God to submit to my will. As a manager if my staff behaved like this I would consider them to be insubordinate and poor performers. If this behaviour persisted I would have no option but to terminate their contract, but God is amazingly patient [which is not to be mistaken for tolerant]. He is a loving Father and is too passionate about us to let grow up [spiritually] with out ever growing up until we have a spiritual A.S.B.O. slapped on us!

"My thoughts are completely different from yours," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."
Is 55: 8-9

If this is true I want to live as if it is true. I want my life to reflect the liberty of this truth.

I read this prayer in a book by the late pastor Kyle Lake and it really struck a chord:
"God, I hold fast to You right now for who You are, knowing full well that at this very moment You are not like me and I am not like You. Right now, my thoughts are not Your thoughts, my ways are not entirely Your ways, my values not entirely Your values. But, God, I still cling to You, and I approach my future amid this inevitable conflict of interests between Your ways and Your thoughts and my ways and my thoughts. And when Your ways and thoughts conflict with mine, I will strive to be the one who changes."

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home