Thursday, August 24, 2006

God's canvas #5

Living by faith is not an event; it's a walk.

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Gal 5:25

In my early teens I was part of the local Boys Brigade. I suspect that habit more than interest kept me going. Every year we would have a regional parade and for this we had to practice marching as a squad. I never found this easy since I would regularly find myself out of step, and as soon as I was out of step I was no longer travelling at the same speed as everyone else. The whole squad would end up looking messy and inconsistent as a result.
We would spend weeks practicing our marching until it was perfectly timed. Of course there is always the possibility of a mistake and so we'd learn how to pick up on this quickly so that we could take a 'skip step' to get back in step with the rest of the squad.

We are part of a regiment following Christ. We all make mistakes but we need to pick up on these and get back in step again quickly.

"Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives. That means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original." Gal 5:25-26 (Msg)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home