Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Talk of the town.

Here’s a thought that struck me as I read my daily devotional the other day; who talks about you?
Do you find people turning up saying that they heard you were about and had to come by?

“After a few days, Jesus returned to Capernaum, and word got around that he was back home. A crowd gathered, jamming the entrance so no one could get in or out. He was teaching the Word.” Mark 2:1-2 (Msg)

Sometimes I am all too quick to dismiss things that I read in the Bible by saying, ‘Well that was then and now is now. Besides it’s Jesus too, he is the Son of God.’ I’ll convince myself that all these people were attracted to Jesus because he did loads of miracles etc. But then didn’t Jesus tell us that we’d do greater things than what he was doing?

As Christians we should be the talk of the town. People should hear about us and get excited. It doesn’t matter whether we are preachers or simply helpers we should attract people’s attention because we remind them of Christ… or if they don’t know Jesus then they will see something in us that makes them thirsty for more.

A colleague of mine, Julie, told me this sweet little story the other day. She was outside her house washing her car as her dog watched with its head pocking through the garden gate. As she was rinsing off the foam a very young girl, only 5 years old, strolled up to her and stood at the end of the car watching her for a while.
“Do you live here?” asked the little girl in a very casual and carefree manner.
“Yes.” Smiled Julie in reply.
“Is that your dog?”
“Yes she is.” The dog still had its head pocked through the gate.
“Oh. Is this your car?”
“It certainly is.” Julie replied as she began to wonder why such a young girl was strolling around alone. “Are you out here on your own?”
“Yes. I just came over because you reminded me of my friend. She’s 4.”

We should remind people of Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home