Monday, April 10, 2006

The healthy eating option.

Part of fusion in our lives is all about our diet.
No, this isn’t to do with McDonalds (although I did win a free fruit bag and serving of porridge the other day) this is to do with what we consume in other ways; through our minds and filling our hearts.

While our pastor was preaching on Sunday he happened to encourage us to digest God’s Word (not actually eat it, you understand, paper isn’t that pleasing a taste) by allowing it to become part of our lives; a living part of our lives. A part that actively instructs and guides and inspires us and others. The thought of this reminded me of something that Paul wrote to Christians in Colossi.

“Let the Word of Christ--the Message--have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God!” Col 3:16 (Msg)

Friends of ours, Claire & Lawrence, have an [awe] inspiring appetite. They once took his parents out for a 5 or 6 course meal (I never realised that a meal could have that many courses!!!). When they got back home, even though it was late, we stayed up listening to them enthusiastically telling us about the delights of each course. By the time they had finished Ruth and I were hungry and they could have probably gone for another couple of courses now that their appetite had been tantalised again.
This should be the effect of our conversations with each other. When we chat we should both come away with our mouths watering for the taste of God’s Word.

The amazing thing is that the more of God’s Word that you eat the more of it you can share! Now, I am not a great food sharer, if it is one my plate it is mine and I will defend it. I really struggle when Ruth asks to try a little of my food to see what it tastes like; I don’t want to give any away, but she asked so nicely… argh! And then the whole, “No I won’t order a drink, I’ll have some of Andrew’s!” That strikes fear into my heart because now I have to remember that I can’t just drink the whole thing, but I know that I will! Absolute torture!!!!!!!!
Any way, God’s Word is not like that. In fact the more you share it the more pleasurable its taste becomes to you. It’s like paying for a meal once but enjoying it fresh every day!

“Let the word [spoken by] Christ (the Messiah) have its home [in your hearts and minds] and dwell in you in [all its] richness, as you teach and admonish and train one another in all insight and intelligence and wisdom [in spiritual things, and as you sing] psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, making melody to God with [His] grace in your hearts.” Col 3:16 (Amp)

Eat more – Share more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home