Saturday, April 08, 2006

Purpose and perseverance.

I was deeply challenged and stirred by something I read from my mother’s Amplified Bible the other day. This is what I read:

“Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God's consecrated people).” Eph 6:18 (Amp)

This was the conclusion on Paul’s passage describing our spiritual armour. What struck me was as Paul described the qualities and power of our armour concluded by reminding us that it is not designed to equip us to become mercenaries, out to look after ‘number one’. It’s purpose is to allow us to fight for and protect one another.

Paul really challenged me on two levels. The first challenge was for me to stay alert and to persevere in praying for my brother & sisters. Becoming determined for breakthrough. To pray as though my life depended on it.
Even on my best days I must admit to falling short of this. Sorry guys. But I am back on my feet; I’m watching your backs – let’s move forward!

The second challenge was deeper still. To pray in every season.
Paul’s encouragement here is for us to keep praying for each other through good times and bad. I guess Job characterised this most clearly. Despite having lost his family, home, health and dignity (and yet God’s hand was upon him – how does that work?!) he was still obedient to God in praying for his friends without his situation changing at all.

Lord, help me take hold of this in my life.


PS Wandering what the difference is with Fusion? Then read the 'All Change' entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home