Saturday, March 25, 2006

Hearing birds sing.

It really isn’t that hard to hear birds singing.
I noticed this on my way home from work the other day.

Sat alone in my car, queuing in the traffic as usual, I took the opportunity to enjoy my music at volume way beyond what is normally acceptable. It was a treat even though its audio detail was being marred by the reverberating grumblings being emitted from the idling engine of a huge lorry to my left. Even the occasional revving of my own 1.3 Zetec engine was rendered inaudible thanks to this automotive giant snoring on the inside lane.
Even on my right traffic roared passed my window, annoyingly unhindered by any delay it would seem. I listened enviously as their engines faded in and out of the music that was pouring out of my stereo speakers. I began to wish that I lived in their direction.

Then, all of sudden, I realised that I could hear something. Something sweet and melodic over the torrent of automotive sound rushing by my ears. I could hear birds singing. Over all of this commotion I could still hear the birds singing to one another!

Why do I not usually hear them?
How loud must they be?!

As I thought about this phenomena, I was reminded of Elijah a reassuringly earthy prophet. A man awesomely on fire for God, a passionate pioneer, but whose emotions often found him missing God’s direction. 1 Kings 19:11-13
Then he was told, "Go, stand on the mountain at attention before GOD. GOD will pass by."
A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before GOD, but GOD wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but GOD wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but GOD wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper.
When Elijah heard the quiet voice, he muffled his face with his great cloak, went to the mouth of the cave, and stood there. A quiet voice asked, "So Elijah, now tell me, what are you doing here?"

I sometimes struggle my way through a day, praying desperately for help in various situations, and yet it seems that I often have to ‘wing it’ alone. Does God not want to help out? Why doesn’t God speak up? Why can’t I hear his guiding voice telling me to calm down before I say too much?!
But is it me? I must admit, on reflection I find the earthquake, wind and fire directing my life more than that easily disguised still small voice.

It seems so hard, if not impossible, to maintain a devotional lifestyle. Those heroes of faith didn’t have to contend with everything we have to cram into a day!

Really?! Who am I trying to convince!
When you read about what some of these guys achieved in their lives it is obvious that we do not know what ‘busy’ is! It isn’t busyness that is my problem it’s clutter. I clutter my mind with so much junk that it looses its focus.
How often do I find myself blurring the line between entertainment and ‘mind clutter’? I don’t want this to sound 'puritanical' (in a negative sense that is), because I don’t mean to be. There is a time for everything including entertainment, but the pursuit of entertainment over the pursuit of God end up with our heads filled with the wrong stuff. It is often the case that by the time I decide to seek God my mind is exhausted!
This is me unconsciously/consciously choosing not to listen. It is not by accident; it happens because I choose to let it happen.

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

My mum used to subscribe to the BBC Wildlife magazine. It was great, as kids we loved it… well, I loved it. On one occasion I remember it coming with a free audio cassette, ‘The Dawn Chorus’; an hour of birdsong recordings. I couldn’t get enough of this tape.
Eventually I became familiar with these calls. I could be walking to school and I would hear some chattering coming from a tree branches overhead and, without looking, I would know what sort of birds they were.

When I find myself struggling and being ineffective in my faith, seeing this fusion falter, it is because I have chosen not to listen. I cannot blame God for not shouting loud enough or for not making his point clearer.
A whisper from the Almighty is all we need.
It is just that my ears are ringing from all the clutter I bring in during the day.
Forgive me Lord

“God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life. Don't throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me. Bring me back from grey exile, put a fresh wind in my sails!” Psalm 51:10-12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home