Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Vine – Who’s choosy?!


”You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” John 15:16

When I was in school I was rubbish at sports.
You would have to have taken leave of your senses if you picked me for your team from the line of students with their backs against the gymnasium wall. I was thin and unathletic. This meant that you could guarantee that people’s enthusiasm in picking their team had waned by the time myself and the bespectacled and overweight were left in the line up.
I didn’t feel hard done by; I wouldn’t have chosen me either!
There was no love loss. In the end I just stopped turning up for the lessons and willingly accepted the detentions that I was handed out as a fair trade.

My youngest sister was chosen though. As a family we adopted her.
When I was younger my parents began to foster children. Usually emergency cases; they’d receive a call late at night from Social Services and then they’d wait up for the children to arrive. Quite a few stayed with us over the years.
Eventually we began fostering Rebecca. A small, dark skinned girl with stunning eyes, a bright smile and a toy rabbit with no arms and one eye. He was called ‘Rabbit’ and he went everywhere with her. She was with us for some time and became part of our family. Mum and dad then chose to adopt her.

On the actual day of adoption we had to go, as a family, down to the court so that the judge could verify the adoption. The one we met looked exactly as you would expect a judge to look (I’m sure you know what I mean). He sat down and took of his wig. He smiled at Rebecca and told her that he didn’t have to wear it all of the time. He chatted with mum and dad for a while before finally asking the big question; ‘Why have you chosen to adopt Rebecca?’

I can still remember the judge asking this question all these years later. I don’t recall what mum and dad said, but the judge was satisfied that they had chosen Rebecca for all the right reasons and that she would be well placed in our family. He also asked Rebecca (and of course Rabbit) if she wanted to be part of our family forever.

Mum, dad, Rebecca and the judge may have all decided that this adoption was best but long before then God had chosen a family for my youngest sister. It would take some effort to get her in the right place at the right time, but it wasn’t too much for Him to handle. He had chosen her; he had plans for her and knew the family that He had prepared for her.

There are [more or less] 6 billion people on the planet today. Out of all of them God has chosen you. He knew that you’d be sat where you are right now, reading this and thinking the thoughts you are thinking. He has a purpose for you, there is fruit in your life that he is going to nurture. We are more than unique; we are chosen [by God]!

“Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Col 3:12-14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home