Monday, March 20, 2006

Dr Livingston, I presume?


I am quite pleased with myself because Ruth and I actually made it along to THE LAB last night. We really enjoyed ourselves. I guess I would describe it as a time of reflective worship (with a cup of tea); good hearty worship tunes infused with time to meditate on, this week, God's mercy. I must compliment Justin and his team, they are working well to develop this 'experiment'.
On Easter Sunday rather than meeting at St Paul's they'll be meeting at Heroes Bar (Newport Leisure Centre) which I think is quite exciting. It reminds me that it is good for us to celebrate [but not worship] the heroes of our faith. (If you can't think of any Hebrews 11 will help :o)
Our worship is reserved only for our ultimate hero: JESUS! And our worship is our life which we live surrendered to Him.

Here is something that I read last week in my Word for Today about another hero of our faith.

Robert Livingston’s body is buried at Westminster Abbey but his heart (literally) remains in Africa. When this missionary doctor died, the Africans removed his heart and buried it in the land he loved. When he died, they found him in prayer with his Bible opened to Matthew 28. Beside verse 20 he had made this notation: 'The Word of a Gentleman.' Livingston could easily have lived comfortably in his native Scotland. What kept him in Africa? His arm was paralysed from a lion attack, he had suffered 27 bouts of jungle fever, and was exhausted from battling slave traders. Addressing the University of Glasgow, Livingston said, “What sustained me amidst the trials, hardships and loneliness of my exiled life, was the promise of a gentleman of the most sacred honour: it was this promise, 'Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.' People talk about the sacrifice I have made. But can it be called a sacrifice when it is simply paying back a small part of a great debt I owe to God? A payment, that brings peace of mind and the hope of a glorious destiny? It is emphatically no sacrifice, it is a privilege!”

“I'll be with you… day after day after day, right up to the end of the age." Matt 28:20 (Message)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home