Friday, February 17, 2006

What difference does it make? - 5 days to go.

I have been wondering to myself what impact FUSION [or ‘Prayer for the City’] has on anything.
Do things really change because of it? Does anyone notice?...

“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
Psalm 46:10 (NIV)


Read it again – mad isn’t it!
Or at least it seems that way to my limited mind. What about you?
I’m not stupid, or at least I don’t think so; I have been to university (no comments!). Despite this I just can’t begin to truly understand what God is saying here in David’s Psalm. It seems to go beyond understanding.

Is God saying that if we get to know Him more, then Newport will know Him and praise Him?
Just by getting to know Him more?! How?

Now, let’s not get mixed up here. God is not saying to us, ‘Be still and do nothing all of the time.’ He’s saying something entirely different. He is saying, ‘Pause a moment, take a breath. Let me breathe fresh life in you, then go. I am going to amaze people through you.’
God’s command to be still must assume that we are currently active [in faithful obedient living]. David was a man of action, a man after God’s own heart. He was clearly in the zone as he wrote this Psalm, worshipping God. Then, all of a sudden, God took over his song and changed the tempo; ‘Slow down a second, take a fresh look at me; look me right in the eye.’

Times of stillness lead into times of action otherwise they become stagnant. They become death rather than life.

As we become more aware of God, who he really is, what he is really like and what pleases him, we suddenly change. We want to be God-pleasers, life savers, gospel sharers. That doesn’t mean that we’re going to become some massive evangelists, but we’ll certainly be godly friends to the lost, the down trodden, the backslidden.

Fusion is a time for us to be still in and know that God is GOD, and that he loves you.
Victory flows naturally from this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home