Thursday, February 09, 2006

Smell the coffee - 15 days to go.

Remember yesterdays ‘thought for the day’?

If you had unlimited resources of money, confidence, time and personnel what would you do for God?

Whatever you thought about God has placed in you ….. how wild is that?!
He God who laid out the foundations of the earth, placed each star in it’s place (and keeps it there), who fills the universe with stuff who gave breath to every living aaaand put this dream in your heart!

I wander why he did that? Do you think He wants me to dwell on the unachievable? Or could it be that I [relying heavily on Him] could do it?
Is he taunting me or training me?

Time is such a scarse commodity. But I guess I have to wander if I treat it like the ‘gold’ it is… or do I sqwander it. Can I train myself to focus more? James did (see the post I made on Tue 7 Feb) and so is it impossible for me? I could argue that it is more complex or may be I can give in and try.

But I’m not confident I can pull it off. Now do I lack confidence in myself or God? God is God, right?! So do I think the success of whatever it is going to be because I am super confident and out-going? Or because God is? Do you remember a guy called Gideon?


It took God ages to get Gideon to the place where he’d say “OK, I don’t think it’ll work, and that scares me, but you are God after all and I’ll put my confidence in that rather than myself (after all He’s hardly likely to humiliate Himself).”

What about people, I can’t do it on my own. Is God expecting you to? If not then do I trust him enough to believe that he has placed the same desire in others. Do I have the confidence in God to step out and pray that they too will be obedient (for their sake, not mine) to God’s call.

I’m not rich, where’s the money come from?
Now if nothing else has this’ll blow the socks so far off your feet you won’t believe it. I’m still trying to find mine!
I do not think I am rich, I have to scratch around cash to go see a movie (and even then only on Orange Wednesday). How does God provide? Well consider this, God owns the cattle on a thousand hills … but what if some of those hills belong to us?
Recently God has been patiently doing some Maths with me (just like Mr Kinsella …. Although this teacher of mine had much hairer hands than I expect God has).



When I get into work I tend to get a cup of coffee form a vending machine. It costs me 60p. I can usually afford this no problem at all. In a week this costs me £3. I get about three weeks off work a year which means in a twelve month period I will have spent £147 on coffee!!!
Now watch this (no slight of hand) if I buy a little stainless steel thermos flask from Morrisons for £3.49 (which I have) and buy some nice FairTrade filter coffee now and again (approximately £1 a week) I can save almost £100 a year and still have coffee every morning …. Much nicer coffee…. And more of it! How mad is that! What can I do with this £100? Plough it back into the Kingdom, I don’t need it (I would only have spent it anyway).
By not depriving myself of anything I can give God £100!!!!!
Imagine if I decided I didn’t need coffee – steady on there!

Now here’s a bit more God maths. What would happen if I decided that rather than buy some pop corn when I went to the cinema or some other random ‘treat’, I give it to God. For me that means I could give £5 a week. A sacrifice right, but it won’t kill me. In a year – that’s all – I will have saved an astonishing £260 that I can put back into the Kingdom!
Now, let’s dream a little here. What if you had 150 people in your church and they all decided to do this. In a year the church would have raised £39,000!!!!!


What if God blesses you with a pay rise. Wasn't I coping just fine on the wages I had before? may be I can give my pay rise to God?
Money is no issue to God, that is why he has made us rich!

It’s just a thought :o)


In case you are worried I am doing the coffee thing and my wife and I are doing the £5 a week thing. My wife is even considering the pay rise thing too! Doesn't God bless us real good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home