Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Standing.

“Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.” (1 Cor 15:58 NIV)

Pastor Andrew touched on this verse while preaching on Sunday and it has really stuck with me.
‘Let nothing move you.’ This is not Paul calling us to be unemotional, he is saying, ‘let nothing distract or sidetrack you.’ So much can, there is so much in our lives that can distract and exhaust and this causes us to sway. For me, I have been so tired over the last month that I am so not on the ball; it feels as though I am stumbling along with God rather than walking with him at the minute.
Paul then goes on to describe the effectiveness of our calling. I looked through several translations of this verse and each one has encouraged and strengthened me in a different way! I really can’t say more than this.

“So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.” (NLT)

“With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don't hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.” (MSG)

“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be firm (steadfast), immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord [always being superior, excelling, doing more than enough in the service of the Lord], knowing and being continually aware that your labour in the Lord is not futile [it is never wasted or to no purpose].” (AMP)


-Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home