Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lost in ignorance.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
(Is 6:8 NIV)

My sister-in-law, Helen, and AG are heading out to Zambia soon on a short term mission following in the footsteps of Dr Livingstone to share the gospel with people who have never heard it before (if you wish to sponsor them they’d be glad to hear from you, or you can buy a copy of the Fusion Devotional since all proceeds will be going to support them). The story of why they are going is different for both of them. For Helen it has been a long journey of obedience to God and an openness to God’s leading. For AG this has come about because he was praying about the mission and God challenged him to be part of the answer to his prayers (be careful what you pray for :o).

For Helen and AG they know without a shadow of a doubt that God is sending them [on this occasion] to Africa. It may only be for a short mission but I was impressed by something that Helen shared with the church on Sunday. Over this period of time in which God has been building her up, she has begun to realise that life is a mission. What is more she has assured God that she is available for Him whether it is to go to Africa or Abercarn, it makes no difference; she is willing.

I am excited when I listen to their obedience, but as I listen I know that God is not calling me to Africa (although some of you may be reading this and realise that God is calling you). You may feel the same as me, but this does not mean that we aren’t called. Just because God’s mission plan for our lives does not lead to exotic locations doesn’t mean that we don’t have a mission.

[Jesus said,] “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8 NIV)

As you may notice ‘the ends of the earth’ is the last on this list. To the disciples listening to Jesus saying these words they knew what he meant; they were being called to shine the gospel in the neighbourhood where they live, in the their county, their nation and beyond. Our mission may start [and end] at home but this does not make it any less significant to the advancement of God’s Kingdom and the salvation of souls. Sometimes we don’t even need to step out of the front door to share the good news of the Gospel; our families need to see us living a God honouring life. Just because we are not called to distant lands does not give us an opt out, we cannot ignore the calling upon our lives right here right now.

-Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home