Friday, December 15, 2006

Overcome the overwhelming.

A few days ago I woke feeling extremely overwhelmed.
I faced a particularly difficult day ahead of me in my job and I felt nervous and daunted by what lay ahead. On the whole I love my job but there are just a few things that I find really tough and always get nervous beforehand. At times like this I can’t help thinking that I can’t do this or that I’ll end up saying or doing the wrong thing.

As all of this rushed through my thoughts I began to remember an old song we used to sing in church: ‘No one who’s hope is in you shall ever be put to shame, that’s why my eyes on you, O Lord’ (taken from Ps 25:3). So instead of trying to do things on my own I decided to surrender my day to God; I put my hope in Him, placing my confidence in God’s promise and surrendering my day to Him. I asked Him to use me how He wanted. Everything still lay before me, nothing had changed except I felt confident knowing that God was in control – complete control.

Late that day he said to them, "Let's go across to the other side."… A huge storm came up. Waves poured into the boat, threatening to sink it. And Jesus was in the stern, head on a pillow, sleeping! They roused him, saying, "Teacher, is it nothing to you that we're going down?"
Awake now, he told the wind to pipe down and said to the sea, "Quiet! Settle down!" The wind ran out of breath; the sea became smooth as glass.
Mark 4:35-39 MSG

The day didn’t pan out as I expected, or even as I would have necessarily wanted, but through it all I did not look stupid or embarrassed. God’s will was done that day because I allowed Him to take over.

When we place our confidence in God and what he can do through us… the prospects are unlimited. The same spirit who raised Christ from the dead dwells in us (Rom 8:11) and that we can do everything through Christ who strengthens us (2 Thes 2:16-17). If you are facing daunting circumstances ahead and you are nervous at how you are going to look, surrender it all to God, put your hope in Him. Your situation might not turn out how you want but knowing God is in control will give you an amazing sense of peace.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home