Thursday, November 23, 2006

Reconsider.

This weekend I have had a fresh appreciation of what Paul meant when he wrote the following:
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Rom 8:28

In work I have discovered [much to my annoyance] that my new manager is not a great communicator. In fact this is more of an understatement than you would believe.
On numerous occasions I have found myself being invited to high level meeting with no prior warning [of the subject of the meeting or that I would be required to say anything, or even chair the meeting!]. It has only been because I know what it is he should know, and that I can look as though I know what is going on while I try to figure out what indeed is going on, that I have been able to survive such meetings and still contribute productively to them. In fact it was just the other week that I was mulling this over; despite me finding the annoying regularity of this, it has in fact increased my ability to think on my feet, be immediately responsive, and sound as if I have always known what it is I am about to say.

What I had no appreciation of was that God was using my manager’s short comings as a training ground without me knowing.

On Sunday Karen, who was due to preach, was not feeling well and so Pastor Andrew stepped in with a sermon that he had ready. During our time of worship though God terrified me by doing exactly what my manager in work does; I felt that God wanted me to say to Pastor Andrew that if it was OK with him I could preach.
This was not a reasonable offer since all I had was a passage of Scripture and no idea where God may lead me with it. But I tapped Pastor Andrew on the shoulder in full confidence that there was no way he would accept my crazy offer and so I would be ‘off the hook’ (demonstrating my obedience to God without having to actually do anything – result!).
That isn’t, however, how things panned out. Pastor Andrew accepted my offer believing that God was definitely up to something. And He was!

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Cor 9:8

God will always provide you everything you require to do what it is he has asked. You may not receive everything you require before you start but you will as you obediently listen and follow.

PS I couldn’t find a suitable picture and so this one made me smile hence its inclusion :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home