Thursday, October 05, 2006

Resound.

Resound.
What resounds through my life?
What is it that you could say resounds through history?
As I thought about this I realised that it has to be the cross. If it were not for the cross my life would be different from what it is. The cross of Jesus resounds through me; it changed my life, changed history and changed eternity.

This was something that my friend AG was thinking about the other day as he wrote this blog:


"But Jesus, again crying out loudly, breathed his last. At that moment, the Temple curtain was ripped in two, top to bottom. There was an earthquake, and rocks were split in pieces." Matt 27: 50-51 (Msg)

This is the moment that the world changed. This is the moment that we never witnessed, but never forget, and the one thing that can make any Christian cry within seconds. But humour me while I express a thought…

Have you ever been camping? Driving pegs into the ground with a hammer? Hopefully you'll be familiar with the motion.

In this scripture, we remember the temples being destroyed as one of the last prophecies to be fulfilled by Jesus' life on Earth. But, it's also written that Jesus was carrying all the burdens of the world - every generations sin - on his shoulders.

Now imagine the moment: Our Saviour is balancing the weight of the world on top of Him - pinned high against the cross. Now, the moment of release arrives as He cries out His last... everything fulfilled. The Spirit is given up, and as it departs His body becomes limp and suddenly drops. All that weight that was being held by Him is suddenly forced down by the sheer gravity surrounding it - and it drives the cross into the ground with such an impact that the Earth literally cracks and triggers a mighty Earthquake!

That's not how it was - but it serves well as an illustration for our Father's love.

I don't particularly like thinking about the amount of sin I have - and will - put on His shoulders... but I end up loving Him more when I think of just how massive the weight he carried was. Our saviour is the strongest man that ever lived.


Thanks AG!
I'm away for the weekend... a belated summer holiday, and so I won't be loading up any new blogs until Tuesday. See you then fusion fans :o)






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home