Thursday, October 12, 2006

Reduce.

I don’t have a huge amount of cooking experience [although I have picked up some things from my mum] but I know a little about reducing. To reduce something down, in cooking terms, you apply a gentle heat causing excess liquids to evaporate off leaving you with something that is full of concentrated flavour.
Obviously if you are a real cook then you will be able to describe this process in more technical terms :o)

Therefore in cooking, aim of reducing is to create an increase [in flavour]. Sometimes the same can be true in our spiritual lives; we become so complicated, so caught up with things that our flavour [our intimate experiences with God] become diluted somehow.

"Come to me." [Jesus said] "Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matt 11:29-30 (Msg)

It is all too easy for our hearts and minds to become littered, occupied with this or that thought or activity. At these times we need to intensify our flavour by simplifying - this does not mean being simple or indeed immature, but using our spiritual maturity to intensify the intimacy of our experience with God. We are called to walk with God, that is all. This doesn't have to be complicated either; we don't need to carry loads of equipment or anything, all that is needed is you and Him.

Jesus called the Twelve to him, and sent them out in pairs. He gave them authority and power to deal with the evil opposition. He sent them off with these instructions: "Don't think you need a lot of extra equipment for this. You are the equipment. No special appeals for funds. Keep it simple." Mark 6:7-9 (Msg)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home