Friday, May 26, 2006

A still small voice.

Aloha!

"And he said, Go forth and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake, a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice." 1 Kings 19: 11-12

That's a really famous and widely-used scripture, but it’s nonetheless really important. God speaking so quietly, amongst all the devastation and destruction around us.
Partly the reason we struggle to hear God's voice is because our ears are listening in the wrong places. We think the loud, brash comings and goings of everyday life are where we'll hear Him...or hope so we can carry on with our loud lifestyles.

Or natural disasters. Do you remember all the religious-types harping on about "God being angry" with those people affected by the tsunami in 2004? Get real!
The other day, for example; I was working most of the day for God - which was nice change! I spent the day editing a video to a loud rock song that is like a victory-cry for God and then spent the evening at [Ignition] band practice rehearsing for our acoustic set.. but you know where I heard God the most? What affected me, what shaped my character the most yesterday?

I got some more bad news about my family at around midnight...and I cracked. I burst out crying, alone in my room. A friend came and prayed softly with me.
That's when God spoke to me, comforted me, lifted me.
I know all the works I did during the day count for little...but an event like that is where He resides. He's not speaking through the thunder, or the earthquakes. He's that tiny voice that pierces you every now and again.
We have to listen and listen hard, creating space and a quiet, comfortable atmosphere to be willing to listen. And don't talk over Him or nag Him...I don't think anyone likes that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home