Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Life is loud.

I have been following a series of blogs that a friend [from ABLAZE, Bethel’s youth group] has been writing on MySpace recently. Despite apparently being inspired by something I had said when I preached the other week I have benefited greatly from reading his reflections… although in reality they aren’t his reflections, they are the result God’s conversation with his spirit – deep calling to deep. We pick this up when we learn to recognise His voice:
“…the sheep hear [the shepherd’s] voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and… they recognize his voice.” John 10:3-4

Aloha!

I heard something on Sunday, during the dashing and daring Andrew Carey's talk, which too many may have been a quick, throwaway line...but it really stuck out to me...

I considered it, then in House group on Wednesday I was reminded of it and then loads of ideas and inspiration struck! So, for the next few days, I'd like to discuss some thoughts on Volume.
Volume is such a great word. Why? Say it slowly, quick, loud, quiet, deep, high...it always sounds cool! Plus, it has so many definitions! But, today, how about ‘The Volume of Life’.

Now that sounds like a cheesy book title, but ask yourself; How loud is your life?

Are you like me, someone who crams every spare second with music; a DVD, playing instruments or talking through times when I should be quiet?
Do you speak loud?
Do you wear loud clothes?

When was the last time you spent some quiet time with God? Or even just to yourself? Sometimes we spend so much time running our lives that we fail to stop. Think. Take measure. Enjoy, just for a moment, the beauty of it, or taste the fruit of our labours?
"Better is a handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail and vexation of spirit." Eccl 4:6 (KJV)
Or, in other words;
"One hand full of rest is better than two hands full of work and trying to catch the wind" (New Life Version)

The magazine Kerrang!'s slogan is "Life is Loud" - it doesn't have to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home