Sunday, May 21, 2006

How you finish.

What an awesome weekend it has been. If you took some time to pop along to Fusion then I am certain (from what others have said) that you will have met with God, heard Him speak over your life; it will have been a uniquely intimate time.
.
I found a strap of paper in the back pocket of my jeans; I must have put it in there last week. On it was printed 1 Cor 9:24-27:
“You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.”

As I read this again it reminded me of a daily devotional that I had red the previous week:

When D. L. Moody was moving into old age, he was asked to grant permission for his biography. Moody refused, saying, “A man’s life should never be written while he is living. What is important is how a man ends, not how he begins.”
For better or worse, I have failed to follow that dictum. My biography has been published. Yet I agree with Moody that the way our lives end is the crucial test of authentic discipleship. Only if we remain in a steadfast relationship with the Saviour can we be confident not merely of entering heaven, but of obtaining the victor’s crown (1 Cor 9:25).
Paul was concerned about the possibility of being disapproved by his Lord (v.27). He was a redeemed believer who was serving the Lord, yet he feared that his service might prove to be wood, hay, and straw rather than gold, silver, and precious stones (1 Cor 3:12-13).
What will be the Lord’s appraisal of our lives? Will someone evaluating us be able to say honestly that we continued to bear fruit in old age? (Ps 92:14). Whatever vocation we pursue, with the help of the Holy Spirit we may be “steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord” (1 Cor 15:58).

Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful,
May the fire of our devotion light their way;
May the footprints that we leave lead them to believe,
And the lives we live inspire them to obey.
—Mohr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home