Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ps139 – Counting thoughts as though they were sheep.

"How precious are your thoughts about me, O God! They are innumerable! I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up in the morning, you are still with me!" Ps 139:17-18

This makes me smile every time I read it.
I often have to remind myself that God is not like me. I can sometimes be so busy that I don't give Him a second thought! God, however, is nothing like this. I am always on His mind! You know those weird times when you are thinking about someone for no apparent reason and then all of a sudden they phone you up and you think, 'weird!' Well it is like that with God all of the time!

This very realisation is what dawns to the song writer in these verses, and in a stroke of brilliance he decides to see if he can count God's thoughts about him! It is like counting sheep, their shear volume in the end puts him to sleep (not that they are boring but there are just too many). Any way, he's out for the count. The next thing he knows it’s morning and he realises that God hasn't gone away or even stopped thinking/caring about him. He's amazed, he can barely comprehend how many of God’s [loving] thoughts about him have passed him by as he slept.

In essence this Psalm reminds me that God is for me. He loves me and surrounds me. He is wonderful, so wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home