Monday, May 01, 2006

Ps139 – Any where, any time!


"I can never escape from your spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the place of the dead, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night - but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are both alike to you." Ps 139: 7-12

Unintentionally we often confine our experience of God to church on Sunday, or the midweek prayer meeting or our quiet time in the morning [or whenever]. However, these verses from Psalm 139 take us on a journey of the imagination, reminding us that we can experience God all of the time.

Too often we think about "where we are" rather than "who we're with". What do I mean? When I'm in church, for example, I behave in a certain way, but then when I am hanging out with church friends I am far more out spoken and animated. Then again my behaviour is different in work, and when I am in a library I am very quiet indeed. This is often because of where I am. Thinking like this tricks us into thinking that we are only 'with God' at certain times in certain places. Crazy I know!

When we think more about "who we're with" we will soon realise that we are always with God. That will suddenly fill us with confidence and security and we will find ourselves praying and worshipping God in ways and places that we never thought possible. We'll find God speaking to us while shopping or waiting for a bus, and He'll even give us prophetic words when we are NOT in church!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home