Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Image conscious.


I read this in my daily devotional the other day. It got me thinking about whether I live like I have a purpose. When I get up in the morning I turn on the kettle for a cup a tea. I don’t sit there looking at the kettle thinking, ‘I wonder what it is there for? What does it do? It looks nice but does it actually do anything? What was it made for?’

Because we were created in God's image, our lives do have meaning for both time and eternity. God made us for His glory and placed us on earth to honour Him. We have the remarkable ability to reflect on Him and on eternity.
Believing that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the grave meets our need for meaning. Salvation brings assurance that we're forgiven. We have an eternal purpose and the hope of heaven. This is enough to bring deep peace and joy to our lives.

My kettle is there to boil water for my cup of tea in the morning. It was made in the image of a kettle for that purpose. We are made in God’s image with one purpose; to honour Him. Sure we may be occupied by raising children, or manning the phones in a call centre, or cleaning the streets, or running a business but this is just the detail our lives. Our purpose in each of these is to honour our Lord and Saviour.
I hope that the [not-yet-saved] people around me are aware of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home