Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Making history in Newport

I wonder if you watched any of the series on BBC called “Who do you think you are?” It followed a number of celebrities as they trace back their family trees. In most cases they knew about their parents and perhaps a little of their grand-parents, but any further than that was a mystery.
As they investigated the archives they learnt more and more about their family and the history that they lived through. In the end this always had a profound effect upon them because they realised that their lives, their behaviour and habits, were not isolated pieces of history. Their lives were part of a much larger story of which they were mostly ignorant but of which they were undeniably part of and playing their part.

I was reminded of this on Sunday (the day after 10% of the churches in Newport had spent a full day, all 24 hours, in prayer at FUSION) as our youth leader preached God’s Word. She reminded us that our lives are not about us, they are about Him [God]; we are part of God’s story. Our lives are God’s word still being written today because our lives are the only ‘Bible’ that some people will read.

As I thought about this I reflected on our weekend of FUSION and realised that this had been a time when we spent some serious time in the company of the ‘author and finisher of our faith’. On occasion He carried out some ‘editing’, at other times He was adding ‘footnotes’ or ‘highlighting’ passages. In each case though, it left us changed, and with a greater desire to impact history.

This was encapsulated in an old Delirious? Song that we sang during the praise and worship on Sunday. It is both our declaration and our prayer.

History Maker
Is it true today that when people pray
cloudless skies will break,
kings and queens will shake?
Yes it's true and I believe it.
I'm living for you

Is it true today that when people pray
we'll see dead men rise
and the blind set free?
Yes it's true and I believe it.
I'm living for you

I'm gonna be a history maker in this land.
I'm gonna be a speaker of truth to all mankind.
I'm gonna stand,
I'm gonna run,
into your arms,
into your arms of love

Well it's true today that when people stand
with the fire of God, and the truth in hand
we'll see miracles, we'll see angels sing
we'll see broken hearts making history.
Yes it's true and I believe it.
We're living for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home