Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rely.

A friend of mine, who happens to have the fancy title of director of Bath Youth For Christ, made me think when I read his latest news letter from the organisation.

He said that they faced a sizable deficit for the next financial year but to continue achieving all that they are among the youth of Bath he realised that he had to trust that God was able to deliver. This challenged his faith; he had to believe, as though it existed, in something that not only did not exist but that he could not see how it would exist!

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Heb 11:1

If that is a definition of faith I wonder how often I see it in action in my life?
Sometimes things that I attribute to ‘faith’ are not.
While my wife and I may give generously [on occasion] we do so because we have prepared for it (putting money aside each month because we know there will be times in which we will want to give it away). However, we do not give by faith. We have never given away more than we can afford being assured that God will meet our needs.
In fact isn’t it strange that God calls us to live generously but does not always say that we will live comfortably. The apostle Paul lived amazingly generously but he was quoted as saying:
“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Phil 4:12-13

I guess faith listens out carefully for God’s whispers and lives trustingly. This is not always comfortable because our senses give contradictory messages; we can’t see it, our spirit says God can do it but our mind can’t work out how.
Faith is not about living recklessly but obediently.

I was once told about a guy that God had burdened with a desire with a significant humanitarian/outreach project. It was going to cost too, but he was so certain of God’s calling that threw in everything he had. He re-mortgaged his house, now this was not enough but he reasoned that it would get things started.
God, however, had alternative plans. He instructed him to take all the money from his house and give it away! God told him to go to a national Christian conference and give everyone £10. This terrified him because what if he lost it all, but he was obedient and trusted God. He gave away everything with the proviso that people were to use the £10 to spend on something that could raise money (put on a meal for friends and charge, make a sell cakes etc). In the end this recklessly dangerous plan paid off and God provided everything that was needed.

Faith can bless you with a few grey hairs and a beamingly confident smile :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home