Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Rest.

Rest isn't often viewed as being active, but it is an essential part of activity.

Even the slogan 'a Mars a day helps you work, rest and play' alluded to an understanding of this principle, although the sudden introduction of chocolate into my system never really motivated me to rest if I'm honest.

Without rest we run the risk of burn out. We end up lost in activity.
We may love what we are doing and find tremendous fulfilment from it, but unless we include rest in our routine then our time doing what we love is limited; we'll eventually collapse.

Jesus - Mr Focused-and-determined - understood this principle well. He even brought it up in conversation with his disciples on occasion:
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matt 11:28-30 (Msg)

How do we learn these 'unforced rhythms of grace'?
By walking [and working] with Jesus.
Inactivity will make us lazy and lethargic, over activity with destroy us and those around us. Keeping company with Jesus liberates us, and with this liberty we discover our [true] life.

If you are loosing yourself in all the things you need to get done, spend that time with Jesus [listening and learning]. It sounds easier than it actually is, undoubtedly emotions and time will be the great distractors, but you [everything about you and everything you do] needs this time with Jesus; it is as essential as eating, drinking and breathing.


In all you do allow yourself to walk with him. Involve him in everything [and obediently listen to that 'still small voice' - in Scripture and thought - through which God directs us]. Unless we rest we don't listen. If we don't listen we won't hear from God. Not knowing God leaves us enslaved to so many things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home