Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mouth-wateringly fresh bread.

Fresh bread is such a delight; just thinking about the taste and texture of it I am starting to salivate – I haven’t even thought about the pleasure of when it is still warm. Bread can do far more than just bring us pleasure though [I hope I am not totally alone in this regard… in fact if you have not experienced the pleasure of fresh bread head out to a bakers right now and get a fresh warm loaf – your life will change!] it can keep us alive. Well, that is only partially true; bread can only sustain us physically. Being alive physically does not make us totally alive – we are only truly alive when we have the breath of God within us.

Jesus answered by quoting Deuteronomy: "It takes more than bread to stay alive. It takes a steady stream of words from God's mouth." (Matt 4:4 MSG)

Since the birth of my beautiful daughter my usual morning routine has been considerably disrupted; I still haven’t quite recovered yet. As a result I have found it hard to find those moments where I can get alone with God’s word, allowing it to feed me. There have been days that I have felt hungry for God; not a ‘hungry for more of God’ but ‘starving for His word.’ Snacks are good and pleasurable but nothing replaces a mealtime with God feasting upon His word. Just as within a family, sharing mealtimes nurtures relationships – the same is true with God and us.

My mother-in-law once saw a humorous [and true] pun on a church notice board:
“Not reading God’s Word every day makes one weak.”

Think about it :o)



-Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home