Monday, April 02, 2007

Good evening.

The other day I [re-]read this passage from Matthew:

Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.
Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”
But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”
(Matt 14:22-27 NLT)

Walking on water – amazing!
The mad thing is to realise that, as Peter discovered, we too can walk on water when we walk hand in hand with Christ! But this is not what stood out to me on this occasion.

‘After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.’ (vs. 23)
This reminded me of the necessity of spending time with God, at any time. I’ve read quite a few passages where it tells us that Jesus got up early and went to pray before starting the day. We use this to motivate us in spending time with God first thing… but I forget that Jesus didn’t stop at this. He was hungry to spend time with his Heavenly Father at any time. Here we read that night fell while he was praying! He was finishing the day in God’s presence and you can see for yourself what an amazing effect this had.

Since the birth of my daughter my comfortable routine has been dramatically disrupted. I don’t have mornings to myself now let alone any other time (when I feel half conscious). But this just went to remind me to take any time to spend it with God; 10 mins at lunch, 5 mins in the bathroom before bed, 15 mins in the bath (before the baby joins you) on a Saturday morning, your break times, or the train into to work.

The only way we will take a tighter hold onto our saviour’s hand is to spend [any] time [we can] with Him. Let us become opportunistic in this regard. If we fail to put God first we’ll fail to be of any [real] use to anyone else who needs us.

- Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home