Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Satisfaction.

In 1965 ‘The Rolling Stones’ famously sang about not having any satisfaction:

I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm drivin' in my car
And that man comes on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can't get no, oh no no no
Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no

This song may have grabbed the zeitgeist of the youth of ’65 but it does not reflect the truth that we should experience as Christians. With God in [the centre of] our lives we know what it is to be completely satisfied not just fleetingly satisfied.

“Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love, so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives.” (Ps 90:14 NLT) Or in other words: “Surprise us with love at daybreak; then we'll skip and dance all the day long.” (MSG)

In the mornings I wake up before my Ruth and so should our baby daughter also be awake I am the one that goes in to see her. What I have noticed is this: As soon she sees me her face lights up and she smiles. Now, she has been asleep almost all night and would not have fed since the previous day but as soon as she sees me she will not cry for food, it is as though she is satisfied with my company. We’ll play together for about an hour before she will even think about ‘asking’ for a bottle. In this time I will have entertained her by making up songs such as:
These are you knees,
and these are your toes.
These are your hands
to touch both of those.

Our consumer society has taught well; we are never satisfied – there is always something new, something that we can’t do without. But this is not real satisfaction; it is too fleeting to be real, however we do have real satisfaction in Christ.

“I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.” (Phil 4:11-13 MSG)

Be satisfied today; enjoy the company of the One who makes you who you are and surprises you every morning with His unfailing love.

- Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home