Sunday, July 30, 2006

All washed up? #1

I'm back!!!!
Anyway here’s what we are doing at Bethel: We’re washing the church!
Why? Because we’re preparing for the paint, the colour. Before newness goes on the dirt has to be dealt with.
Whether you’ve been part of the church for a month or most of your life, chances are you know that you have been cleansed through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross; you’re clean and you rejoice [everyday] because of it.

This is our first week of work, of praying and painting. As we do all this we will be thinking about being “all washed up”; probably not learning anything new but excitedly exploring [full of joy and delight] what God has done for us as we work together to get the years of dirt off the walls.

All I have done for this series of ‘meditations’ is grab my concordance, look up the word “wash” and worked through the Scripture references. It has been great fun and so I hope you enjoy this week as you rejoice, pray and [hopefully] work towards the redecoration of the church.


“Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” Ps 51:7

We may be “all washed up” [because of the blood of Christ] but we don’t always lead clean lives. Just as dirty clothes soon overflow our laundry bin, sin easily ensnares us through a look, a thought, an irritation, negligence or exhaustion.
When King David wrote this Psalm his life was in a bad way. He is often described as ‘a man after God’s own heart’ and yet here we find him a husk of man having lusted after someone else’s wife, committed adultery, lied [professionally and personally] and arranged a murder. What was he thinking?!
Compared to all of this I beat myself up over seemingly inconsequential sins. But since I even struggle to forgive myself for sins as ‘small’ as these David does something crucial to survival that we can all learn from; he began to worship! When he had come to his senses [and it took him long enough] he went immediately to the place where he most often met God; in worship. In doing so his thoughts were quickly overwhelmed by God rather than sin.

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” Ps 51:1-2

Jesus said that we can have only one master (Matt 6:24). We have the habit of sitting in the presence of sin and writing to God asking him to send a cheque of forgiveness; instead we should immediately leave the house of sin straight away, run! Bang on God’s door [although it is always open] and you’ll discover you won’t need to beg for forgiveness (Luke 15:11-31).
David had done some awful crimes but while he had to deal with the consequences he was sure that God could clean him, transforming him until he was as white as snow.

When we are washed clean the effect will beat the Daz doorstep challenge every time! Enjoy your crisp whiteness.

“Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” Ps 51:12

What you will also discover once you have been washed clean is that you now have all the qualifications to lead others to the cleansing water and it won’t be hypocritical either because it is all Jesus, not us.

“Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.” Or “…so the lost can find their way home.”
Ps 51:13
PRAYER FOCUS FOR THE WEEK
1. Rejoice because we are cleansed and redeemed, washed clean through the blood of Jesus.
2. Remember that Jesus washed his disciples feet and that we are also called to service. Pray that that you will remain humble in your service for your family, your church and your community.
3. Just as light shines brighter in darkness, pray that those in need of Christ we notice what He has done in your life; how he has cleaned your act up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home