Friday, June 23, 2006

Have Nun of it! – or, Dismissed thoughts.

Ruth and I were watching ‘The Convent’ on Wednesday night. It really struck a chord with me since one of the women was really struggling to control her thoughts, especially when they were supposed to be meditating on Scripture. Her battle reminded me of my own at times.
How often do you find that you are less in control of your thoughts that you’d like to think?
You try to have a ‘clean day’ but there seems to be this battle that rages in your mind and you rarely feel like you are on the winning side. My battles often end in a cease-fire which really means that I have lost. I’d never share with you what goes on in my mind but it tears me down [from God’s presence].
We’re not alone either:
“I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.” Rom 7:18-20 (Msg)

Does this mean that we have no hope, no control over our minds? No, in all things (including the battle over our thoughts) we are more than conquerors!
Here it is [the complete truth!]: Because of Christ, we win!
When you were in primary school did you ever join in the sports day? I ran (often in some bean bag related event) but I was never fast enough to win. I never had a ribbon pinned to my shirt that would later be translated into a medal.
Look down at your shirt now. Can you see it? You have a ribbon pinned to you. You’ve won [because of Christ]; it’s as bright as the sun!
“Set your minds on things above [where Christ is seated at the right hand of God], not on earthly things.” Col 3:2 (check out the Message version)

How do you defeat those thoughts that threaten to drag you down to the world’s level?
In ‘The Convent’ a nun offered the women an amazingly simple and profoundly victorious bit of advice. Here it is: Dismiss them. Simple as that. Brush the thoughts to one side saying [over your shoulder in a dismissive manner], ‘You’ve no authority, I belong to God, not you. Get lost!’
And here’s the battle cry of your victory:
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!… The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:4-7

You and I are going to have a victoriously ‘clean day’. So dismiss the thoughts who’s company you have no desire to keep and then treat your mind:
“Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.” Phil 4:8 (Msg)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home