Saturday, June 17, 2006

Christian Top Trumps!

It’s tough not to but do you sometimes think of the church like Top Trumps? You know, an ‘Evangelist’ beats a ‘Pastor’; an ‘Apostle’ scores higher than an ‘Elder’; a ‘Deacon’ trumps a ‘Cleaner’ etc. But that’s not at all how it works.
In human terms God was having a ‘funny five minutes’ when he dreamed up the church.
We sometimes find ourselves thinking/believing that our position in the church is defined by what we do and our level of responsibility or accountability. But that is just our worldly mind playing tricks on us! God really opened my eyes when I read this sentence the other day in my daily devotional:
“As Christians, our value to God comes not from what we do for Him, but in what we are to Him.”

I know that I sometimes fall foul to a way of thinking that convinces me that because I am not some superhero of the Christian faith (like those international evangelists etc) then God’s promises don’t apply (it doesn’t mean that I don’t think they are true – this thinking allows me to accept their truth and still rule them out of my life) and that God quite naturally ‘overlooks’ me when he wants things doing in His Kingdom.
All of that is complete nonsense though! Hokum!!!!

TRUTH:
“Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.” Matt 6:26 (Msg)
“See how very much our heavenly Father loves us, for he allows us to be called his children, and we really are!”
1 John 3:1 (NLT)

"Believe me: …The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.” John 14:11-14 (Msg)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home