Friday, May 04, 2007

Can you keep a secret?

I’m no good at keeping something secret. In fact, if you have a secret it’s best not to tell me; not that I will blab the secret to all and sundry, I won’t mention it to a soul, it’s just that people can read it on my face.
It is very annoying. For example, often I will see an opportunity to surprise my wife and all of a sudden she’ll ask me, “What are you up to?” Nothing; I not up to anything! I haven’t done a thing!!! All I have done is think about it and yet she can see these thoughts as though they were written all over my face! It’s unbelievable – and a little annoying.

“I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” (Rom 1:16 NIV)

Are you any better than me at keeping a secret?
Well, here’s a massive one: This hope you have [in Christ], the gospel in you – no matter how little you know – is enough to transform Newport. To revive where you live.

How do you keep this secret?
Do you clam up when the discussion turns to issues that are influenced by your faith? Do you, in an incredibly British way, avoid conversations on politics or religion? When you see friends who are loosing hope because they have no-one to hope in, do you introduce them to the One who has given you hope? Do you keep Jesus’ influence in your life a secret by the way you conduct yourself at work or school? Do people look at you, knowing that you trust in Christ, and see nothing transformational?

How can you keep this secret?

“It's news I'm most proud to proclaim, this extraordinary Message of God's powerful plan to rescue everyone.” (Rom 1:16 MSG) When you find yourself in conversations where you know that you need to introduce Christ, do you feel yourself becoming uncomfortable and your temperature rising? This isn’t embarrassment (although that is what the enemy would try to convince you it is, he’ll also say you don’t know enough and will only damage the gospel – but that is a massive stinking LIE!), it is the Holy Spirit [living in you] dying to fuel you with the words needed because he is most proud to proclaim the message of hope you have, which secures your eternal destiny and can heal those who hear it. All you need to do is open your mouth and listen! Listen to the Spirit’s voice [in your heart], listen to what the people you are talking to are saying [and respect them]. Once you do this the secret will be out and transformational!


-Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home