Thursday, June 29, 2006

“I am a lineman for the County.”

I was driving through Risca the other day and the usually busy road was made even worse by traffic having to navigate around a van with one of the elevated platforms on the back which fixing a street lamp. I had to wait ages to get passed it, all very frustrating (although the weather was nice, and I enjoyed wearing my new shades which I think are very cool).
However, as I passed the van I noticed that there was something written on the plastic barrier around the platform: “God said, ‘Let there be light’ and so He created Linemen to distribute it.”

I thought that was lush. As well as making me chuckle it caused me to think; God created us to be ‘Linemen’ distributing light too. No matter what we are doing [whether we are happy or sad, full of energy or exhausted, industriously active or incapacitated] we are distributors of God’s light. This is exactly what Jesus said to those gathered on the hillside to listen to his revolutionary sermon [as well as us today].

"You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavour? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. You are the light of the world - like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matt 5:13-16 (Msg)

It makes you think about things doesn’t it. How much light can we say our life gives off?
Do our words and actions and attitudes illuminate anyone’s path? Or do we obscure their view of God’s light as we cast our own shadow?

Lord, make me a Lineman for your County.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home