Monday, June 04, 2007

Talented?

I wonder where you are as you read this?
Actually, I think this question has two interpretations: Where are you physically? Are you in work, an internet café, or at home? Or, where are you in your life? Are you at the end of your career or just starting it; are your goals in life clear or is the future like a fog?

Which ever way you read this question what underlines it is do you feel you make a difference [wherever you are]? Do you make an impact?
You may consider yourself too ordinary to make an ‘impact’ on anything and yet your Father in Heaven has given characteristics and talents tailor made to your life, no matter how ordinary you may consider it; your life was given to you to make an impact.

This is the theme of a parable that Jesus once told:

“Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip.
“The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.
“After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’
“The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
“The servant who had received the two bags of silver came forward and said, ‘Master, you gave me two bags of silver to invest, and I have earned two more.’
“The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
“Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’”
(Matt 25: 14-28 NLT)

I’m no good with finances; balancing the books just doesn’t seem to come naturally to me. Therefore whenever I read this parable it used to fill me with dread… that was until I noticed something. All of the servants in this story were comfortable with money; they all appeared to be competent business men. The first two seemed to invest their money with the greatest of ease and increased the money they were given. Reading between the lines it would appear that they did not go out of their way to achieve this either, they simply maintained business as usual. They were rewarded for doing nothing other than their day job! The master was not interested in the silver he gave them, he was far more interested in the skills that they had been given (since they would all have learnt these skills from their master). It is not the case that the last servant was useless with money like me (because even I would have put it in a bank!), it was fear that gripped him not inadequacy for the task.

What we do with what we are given [by God] is important because it governs our reward. He may have given us skills, riches, characteristics etc all of which He expects us to use to impact the world around us; some of us are here to make money (although not to store up for ourselves), some of us are here to make beautiful art, others are here to care for one another, others are here to teach and guide others, others are here to explore parts of the globe where others would never venture. In all of this though it is always for the glory of God. As with the last servant it will always be fear rather than a lack of talent that robs us of our reward. So reject fear!

For example, 5 years ago I could not have written these blogs or even coordinated and developed unpublished writers from across Newport to produce the Fusion Devotional. I certainly would not have been able to organise a 24hr prayer event either. And yet I have done all of this because I used what God has given me and he has added to me at the right time for the next task.

What can you do? Whatever it is reject fear and do it.
Sure, that is easy for me to say, but it is essential.
Do you belong to a church in Newport? Would you like to write material for the Fusion Devotional? You may not have ever written anything, indeed you may be fearful of the idea of trying to write anything but you still have a burning desire in you to do so. Don’t miss out - contact me.

-Andrew Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home